Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Six More Weeks of Winter


As anyone who has ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray knows, there is only one genuine, authentic groundhog prognosticator and that's the one in Punxsutawney, PA. According to Phil, we're in for six more weeks of winter. All the more reason to wrap oneself in thoughts of love and warmth.

Here at Gotham Gardens, we've turned to some of our favorite writers for a little illumination on the subject.

Some of us who seem to have been in hibernation this winter liked this gem from Zora Neale Hurston: Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.

The gardeners couldn't resist Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Love does not dominate; it cultivates.

Those of us who remember the enchantment of Il Postino are immediately swept away to a sunny Mediterranean island thanks to the words of Pablo Neruda:

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way
than this: where I does not exist nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

1 comment:

AMOROMA said...

You posting has turned six more weeks of winter into a romantic situation! Thank you for the Valentine's Day weekend suggestions. I will incorporate a couple of them into next weekend here in Rome!